LIFE AT THE COTTAGE

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Light Play



I am in no way a seasoned photographer.  Oh, I would love to learn how to capture with a camera
what my eyes see and my creative mind perceives…


such as, the woodland stick people frolicking through the snow–beneath the towering oaks
of our forest.  What?!  You don't see them you say?!  Here...take a closer look.


Alas…studying photography is yet one more want-to that has been overun by the have-tos of my life.


There are so many fascinating aspects of photography–such as the manipulation of light–that a trained professional can employ, to produce an end product that truly delights the eye.


Case in point...the very first image, at the beginning of the post, and these last two were taken at different times of day, from the same general spot on my front porch, looking out into my front yard.

Isn't it amazing how the varying degrees
of natural light affected the shots.

The first image was taken just before sunrise,
the fourth, as the sun began its morning ascent, and the last,
when the sun was directly overhead.

The part that is so amazing to me–all I did was point and shoot.
 
What more could have been achieved...if only I possessed the know-how of a real photographer?


Who knows…
perhaps this might just be the year that photography classes go to the top of my will-do list!


4 comments:

  1. You did a great job with these pictures, Liz. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ~I've just strolled in for my first visit. I've enjoyed taking a peek at your past posts. Your blog is so beautifully inviting.
    We share similar tastes for so many of the same creative design elements. Your photos are what I aspire to capture!
    When winter landed on our doorstep...it provided me the motivation to learn how to take indoor pictures. I agree lighting is key. It's definitely difficult in the PNW, where we're in the dark most of the year, including some of summer.
    When it came to purchasing a new camera recently...I had no idea what I really needed except for one option...a macro. I still don't think I'm quite ready for a higher end camera. Not until I'm ready to take my training wheels off. Although...I used my sons camera at Christmas with the new macro lens we got him. It captured those amazing shots that I'm looking for. All this to say... a high end camera can be just the leverage I need, even in my training wheels, lol.

    I tried joining your followers but it was under maintenance, but I did bookmarked you in my favorites.
    I look forward to coming by your charming blog again.
    Come by for a visit. Your company would be nice.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog about my daughter Amber. I would not have made it this far after her passing if not for prayers. Thank you from the depths of my heart!
    I am going to try to copy your Valentine Party button to my blog.
    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely I sure did see the woodland stick people, in the first photograph and I absolutely love how you dubbed them! :) Wonderful views and great shots! Thanks! Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment.